Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Brain Job

My April selections for the FTOTZ Mix Club:




tracks
01 - DJ Soul Slinger - Brain Job
02 - Wanda Robinson - A Possibility Back Home
03 - Boxcutter - Foxy
04 - The Cryan' Shames - A Carol For Lorelei
05 - 4 Hero - Bed Of Roses ft Jody Watley
06 - Gladys Knight & The Pips - I Can’t Stand By
07 - Dionne Farris - Gravity
08 - The Knife - Like A Pen
09 - The National Bank - Cubicle Man
10 - Silver Band - Kaw-Liga
11 - Jesse Johnson - Be Your Man
12 - Portishead - Hunter
13 - Sharon Jones And The Dap-Kings - Your Thing Is A Drag
14 - Fake - Paxil And Other Agents of Change
15 - Miss Kittin - Sunset Strip
16 - Moovers - Someone To Fulfill My Needs
17 - Christ. - Glenbrook
18 - Dazz Band - Joystick
19 - Nostramus - Let's Fuck It Up
20 - Nina Simone - O-O-Oh Child (Nickodemus Remix)

notes
DJ Soul Slinger's "Brain Job" interlude (from his 1997 release Don't Believe) opens the mix with a Dame Edna sample. Quoth the lady:
This isn't a show. It's not entertainment, per se. (I love saying per se.) I mean if I were home entertainment... look, I'm not a bowl of spaghetti, I'm not a bottle of wine, an After Eight mint. That's home entertainment in my book. I'm a therapist. I'm a counselor. I'm a swami. This is the output for my input, it really is. This isn't a studio, I think of it as a massage parlor for the human spirit darling, I do! Where I give you what you dare not ask your husband or wife to give, and that's a brain job. You know, Dr. Jonathan Miller said to me the other day, after five minutes conversation with me he said, "Dame Edna, you've given me the best brain job I ever had in my entire life!"

"A Possibility Back Home," jazz poet Wanda Robinson's excellent spoken word performance, came from The Doors of Perception - Dope Funk, Psychedelic Soul and Acid Jazz from NYC 70-74.

Genre-expanding dubstep artist Boxcutter a.k.a. Barry Lynn, hails from Northern Ireland. "Foxy" can be heard on his acclaimed album Glyphic.

"A Carol for Lorelei," by Chicago sunshine pop group The Cryan' Shames, can be heard on their 1967 album Scratch in the Sky.

UK drum & bass titans 4 Hero featured 80s soul diva Jody Watley on "Bed of Roses," from their 2007 release Play With The Changes.

"I Can't Stand By" is performed by a teenage Gladys Knight and the Pips. From their 1961 anthology of early works A Letter Full of Tears.

Arrested Development singer Dionne Farris is best known for her smash 1994 hit "I Know," which spent seven months in the top ten. "Gravity" is from her long awaited follow-up album Signs of Life.

Stockholm siblings The Knife craft beautiful electro-leaning synthpop. "Like A Pen" can be heard on their 2006 effort Silent Shout.

Norway's The National Bank could be accused with spiking their indie pop with a bit of yacht rock- and I love 'em for it. Hear "Cubicle Man" on their new album "Come On Over To The Other Side." I can't find a review in English but trust me, it's worth hearing.

Silver Band's unique cover of Kaw-Liga can be found on Thai Beat A Go-Go, Vol. 1.

Formerly of The Time, Jesse Johnson's solo albums attempted to one up Prince's funky guitar work, vocal talent and outre fashion sense, with mixed results. "Be Your Man" is one of the more memorable efforts from his 1985 solo debut Jesse Johnson's Revue.

Bristol, UK. trip-hop pioneers Portishead recently treated fans to their much-anticipated third studio album, Third. "Hunter" stands out on its own while recalling the best of classic Portishead.

Sharon Jones And The Dap-Kings play classic soul and funk like they never went out of style. "Your Thing Is A Drag" is from their 2005 release Naturally.

Fake's haunting "Paxil And Other Agents of Change" is from their free-to-download electronic opus You Are Not Dead - A Guide To Modern Living.

"Sunset Strip" is a moody little synth ditty from German electro revivalist Miss Kittin. From her latest effort, 2008's gother-than-thou Batbox.

"Someone To Fulfill My Needs" by Miami soul group the Moovers can be found on Eccentric Soul, Vol. 7: The Deep City Label.

Former Boards of Canada member Christ. crafts sublime downtempo compositions. "Glenbrook," featuring a reading from Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree, is from his 2007 UK release Bike.

"Joystick" is the title track from the 1983 album by the Dazz Band.

"Let's Fuck It Up" appears on Earthlights, a 1997 release by UK drum & bass producer Nostramus.

"O-O-Oh Child (Nickodemus Remix)" - This remix of Nina Simone (covering the Five Stairsteps) appeared on the 2006 compilation Nina Simone - Remixed & Reimagined.

Cover image found via Google image search on some random Romney-for-President site.


download "Brain Job"

----------------
Listening to: Fake - Paxil and Other Agents of Change