Friday, January 06, 2006

Stumblin' and a-fumblin' like a flip mighty goon

Copied from my LJ-10/10/05
I slacked off on my blogging for a while. I wasn't keen to discuss getting laid off. Unemployment can be a pretty miserable state of existence, and just in case anyone is kind enough to read my blog I don't want to bore them with my whining. Also, once the bizarro world of my terrible last job wasn't convenient subject matter, I kind of lost track of what the blog was about. Then this morning I was reading my favorite delusional live journalist. This girl's entire worldview is constructed atop the fragile premise that two (by all accounts hetero) members of a bland Aussie pop band are secretly gay for each other. Her fascinating ramblings reminded me what all blogs are about: ME ME ME, baby, and my own warped perspective. So here I am, stumblin' and a-fumblin' like a flip mighty goon.

The job hunt continues. I've had a couple of interviews. The last one went very well and I hope to hear from them soon. The first one, not so much. I knew I was screwed right off the bat when the first words out of the stodgy old bitch's mouth were disparaging remarks about my eyebrow ring. So professional. And so out of left field. I have worked in corporate environments at software companies for five years and my piercings have never been an issue before. Never once came up in an interview, never commented upon by any manager or superior. In fact those employers seemed to cultivate a pool of young, urban employees where piercings and hair colors of the rainbow were common. My hair was alternately blond or purple at the first of those jobs and nobody even batted an eye at that.

Paul thinks I should take out my piercings for interviews. I'm torn. It's not like I'm hardcore modern primitve guy and they're somehow integral to my concept of self. But they do have some meaning to me. I got my eyebrow ring shortly after I left nursing, a job where I could have never worn one. It has come to represent one of my proudest decisions: to walk away from a lucrative career because it made me miserable. So it's difficult to let go. Even considering taking it out feels like I'm betraying some vague ideal I wasn't aware I had. As for the earrings, well... a wise woman once said the only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize. Maybe I'll build a bridge and get over it, but for now they're staying in.

Fans of mashups and amusing political commentary will appreciate this track by Wax Audio.

If you enjoy spooky music you'll want to visit The Essential Ghoul's Record Shelf, my favorite MP3 blog. The site is practically a ready-made Halloween mixtape, and there's lots of background info on the songs.

Our friends Steve and Joy had their annual fall party yesterday and I made this:

Pumpkin Cheesecake
2 c graham cracker crumbs
2 sticks butter, melted
1 tsp ground nutmeg
4 8 oz pkgs cream cheese
1 c canned pumpkin puree
1 2/3 c sugar
1/2 c evaporated milk
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
5 eggs

Combine first three ingredients. Divide into two springform pans or spoon two heaping tsp of mixture into each foil-lined muffin cup. Press with pestle to flatten. Place all remaining ingredients except eggs in food processor. Pulse until mixed, adding eggs one at a time. Pour mixture into pans or muffin cups, leaving 1/2" for expansion. Bake @ 300 for 45 min. Cool and refrigerate overnight. Makes two cheesecakes or two dozen muffin-sized cakes with much filling left over.

Music: Lavern Baker-Voodoo Voodoo
Mood: Chipper