Monday, October 09, 2006

Aroma Disc: Millenium Edition

Since the day I bought my first Aromance Aroma Disc Player, I've dreamed of owning a fragrance machine that could produce a wide variety of pleasing scents for the home. Last year, Procter & Gamble promised to make my dream come true with their Febreze ScentStories unit. Then they delivered a machine the size of your grandma's toaster and seven cartridges that all stink of cheap air freshener.

ScentAir makes fragrance machines for major retailers and theme park attractions and offers a library of over 1000 realistic scents. If you were ever lured into a Ben & Jerry's by the irresistible aroma of waffle cones, you've been shot by their smell guns. They emit intermittent waves of fragrance that are adjustable in duration and intensity. ScentAir machines have long been the holy grail for fragrance geeks like me with a closet full of oils, incense and Yankee Candle products.

I just learned ScentAir has started selling a machine for home users. All afternoon I've daydreamed of going home to a place redolent of hot chocolate or lemon balm, a bakery or a tobacco shop. Their smell-of-the-month plan currently sells for $33/month, but with any luck that'll drop and one of these babies will be making my house smell like waffle cones in the next couple of years.